CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 12, 2008

Phantasmagorical Freek Friday

Let’s talk about music! Artists, groups, songs, albums, concerts, memories, instruments, soundtracks

I am a Freek for Christian music that can be described these words: hard, speed, rock, Goth, metal, alternative, grunge, heavy, oh you get the picture. So, for your entertainment (or mine), each Friday I will attempt to discuss this fantastic genre here at gzusfreek.blogspot.com. Anything goes! I will share with you my insight, knowledge, and passion. And you can share on what I've shared or on your own passion!

Please feel free to leave whatever appropriate comments you feel like leaving regarding – songs, albums, groups, or individual artists! Those I may think are Godly; you may have heard rumors to the contrary. I may feel it is great art, and you may disagree! And maybe you don't like this genre at all, and you may want to let me know how much you don't care! Let's get our hands dirty!

Our first discussion will regard "Brian Head" Welch. Have you heard about this former member of the extreme hard rock group Korn? Korn is not a Christian band, in fact Korn is pretty much in the face of our Savior - but I hear Brian Welch (his nickname is Head) was one of the originating members and in 2005 he politely left the band to follow JESUS CHRIST. He checked himself into a hotel and detoxed – just Brian and God!

The big news is that on March 10, 2005, Welch was baptized in the Jordan River. I was so excited when I heard this on Christian radio (in 2005) but I have yet to find anyone else who has heard his story. What have you heard, anything? He has a book out giving the details about his 360 degree-life turn -- a great witness for young people who love hard rock.

I have a special place in my heart for druggie rock stars giving their lives to Christ. Rock stars leaving their wickedness and giving everything to Christ – that is the true “Rags to riches” story!!
Brian Head Welch is living now in Arizona with his daughter serving Christ.

His debut album “Save Me from Myself” was recently released, with a single by the same name. It is kind of dark, that goes with the territory, but I love the ending lyrics!

Here they are:
Drug use i kicked it
Abuse i kicked it
I'm through i kicked it
I won't kill myself
Depression i kicked it
Suicide i kicked it
Telling lies i kicked it (I think its great he includes this line!)
I won't kill myself
Father! thank you
Father! i live for you now!
Oh my God i live for you now

I loved the song! Here is a link to a sample on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actmuAvqlrU

His story is admirable. I thought it warranted the honor of being the first to be spotlighted in Phantasmagorical Freek Friday!

10 comments:

TBD said...

I do remember hearing something about this. I haven't heard any of his album, but I'd be very interested in reading about his story. Did you listen to it? What did you think of it? Is it similar in style to Korn's music?

Anonymous said...

OH yeah. I'm all about those druggie, tattooed, foul-mouthed people finding Christ. I LOVE it.

I don't know Korn, but this story sounds great.

KM Wilsher said...

Here is a link to a sample of his song "Save me from myself" It is great!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actmuAvqlrU
I will download it. Thanks for your comments Gabby and Lrush! I really admire this guy and love his music. Much like Korn.

Amy Deardon said...

I've never heard of him, but his story sounds inspiring! Thanks for sharing...

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I heard about Brian's about face when he left Korn.

At the time I had a guitar-playing friend who loved Korn almost as much as he liked to thumb his nose at anything Christian. So, when this happened, I had a good laugh.

Do you like Skillet or Day of Fire? Or are your tastes even harder than that?

KM Wilsher said...

Thanks for the comments, Kat!

I adore Skillet!!! I'll have to check up on Day of Fire, but Skillet is a good gauge for what I like!

I too have a friend who is a die hard Korn fan and I just had to tell them about this. . .they couldn't believe it - in fact dismissed it. . . but then they usually do dismiss the conversation when I talk about Christ. . .

It's good to see you here and that you'd heard about Brian!

KM Wilsher said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for stopping by!

Avily Jerome said...

Hey Cutie!

I haven't heard that story, but it is very cool! Thanks for sharing!

My rock tends to be on the soft side of hard. I love Skillet, but Korn is a little over the top- although that might have something to do with the content as well. :)

KM Wilsher said...

xx

KM Wilsher said...

Thank you AJ. Yeah, I no longer listen to Korn. . .but they did tour with Flyleaf. I have to check out that. Thanks for your comments.