CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Star Trek by KM Wilsher


This movie was amazing. Eric Bana as Nero the Romulan villain. :*

A young McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov - It is an amusement park ride through a past with a changing future--- and never feels overdone!


If you haven't seen it, go! The synopsis is just below, but don't read any farther. Then come back and discuss this extraordinary film!
{{{SPOILERS}}}{{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}}{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}}{{{{{{{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}{{{{{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}{{{{{{{SPOILERS}}
Synopsis from Movie Web:
The greatest adventure of all time begins with "Star Trek," the incredible story of a young crew's maiden voyage onboard the most advanced starship ever created: the U.S.S. Enterprise. On a journey filled with action, comedy and cosmic peril, the new recruits must find a way to stop an evil being whose mission of vengeance threatens all of mankind.

The fate of the galaxy rests in the hands of bitter rivals. One, James T. Kirk (Chris Pine), is a delinquent, thrill-seeking Iowa farm boy. The other, Spock (Zachary Quinto), was raised in a logic-based society that rejects all emotion. As fiery instinct clashes with calm reason, their unlikely but powerful partnership is the only thing capable of leading their crew through unimaginable danger . . . boldly going where no one has gone before!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}{{{{{{{{{{{SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}




First, I must confess I was not a diehard fan of Star Trek the television series. I watched episodes, but was really too young to appreciate it as a series.
Okay, it is the same for The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. Again, I enjoyed many episodes but did not mark it on my calendar. I was, however, a big fan of the Star Trek movies - all 11! I'll never forget the Borg or the crew traveling through time. Some of my favorite science fiction.

I didn't know what to expect from Star Trek 2009. The set up/prologue was fair as it showed the death of Kirk's father and the roots of Captain’s name, James Tiberius Kirk. I loved the scene where a young Jim drives the car to the cliff. . .action at its best. But then I wanted to puke. The womanizing, drinking, brawling lost kid being invited to join the Starfleet Academy I put on my seatbelt anticipating cliché. That feeling subsided quickly though, as Jim Kirk does take some study/learning seriously.

I won't continue step by step through the movie, for, if you are reading beyond the spoiler banners you've probably seen the movie. I just have make sure to highlight one stand out scene. I think it is the most piercing and grand moments ever in Science Fiction Cinematography. It is near the end when the young Spock faces the older Spock from the future. I want you to know I do not cry easily, but this scene put a lump in my throat, tears stung my eyes. What wonderful thought to be able to go back and talk to your younger self -- especially for Spock when the "future is changing" --It was absolutely brilliant!
two spocks

live long and prosper


IF you made it through all that and haven't seen it - Go see it! You'll be so glad you did :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't a big fan of Star Trek either, but everyone is talking about this movie. I MUST go see it! LOL.

Nice post. I skimmed so I didn't get any spoilers.

So, the young spock is SYLER from the TV show Heroes, huh? SWEEET. I bet he's good.

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't read most of your blog post today.

I want to see this movie and don't want it spoiled.

I will however ask if you've heard the latest Skillet song. Here's a youtube link a buddy of mine sent to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQf-1mIZ51g

KM Wilsher said...

Lynn~Quinto is AWE-inspiring - I was leary, but liked his performance! Yep, go see it when you can.
KAt~I understand that's why I put all the spoiler banners in. Go see it and then we'll talk :) Until then, I must go hear the new Skillet!!!!! Thank you!

Thank you two for coming over - !!

Brandon Barr said...

I've heard nothing but good things about this movie...(and even though I go to the theater only once or twice a year) I think I might go see this one.

Unknown said...

I saw the movie last night. I liked it, but... well, I've never been a big Star Trek fan. So I won't be going crazy when it's on DVD.

Billy Coffey said...

I refuse to read the spoilers, I refuse to read the spoilers, I refuse...

I haven't seen this yet, but I am determined. I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a kid.

Alison Bryant said...

I'm with you, KM...it was great. I thought one or two characters were overacted just as tributes to the original actors, but overall I'd love to see it again!

How funny: my word verification is "blast." Appropriate!

Travis said...

I saw the film and I really enjoyed it. Even thought it was over the top and a bit absurd, it was fun and action packed. Besides, who would go to a Star Trek film for edification? It's supposed to be fun and over the top, right?

KM Wilsher said...

Brandon-gotta make this one of your one or two a year ;)

Billy-glad you didn't read it. I don't want to spoil it! You'll love it!

Lexi-Me either, but this was good!so maybe :)

Alison-There was some overacting. Actually scared me at some points thinking it might ruin the fun. -but it was a "blast" :)

Travis-I'm with you: It's supposed to be fun and over the top, right? That's why we went! I loved your comment! Spot on-Live long and prosper :)

Thanks for coming over guys!