CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 13, 2010

MOVIE MONDAY ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

KM's long awaited review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1




Wiki summaries: Harry has finally come of age, and finally started on his final journey to defeat Voldemort for good. The Durselys are forced to go into hiding so that Voldemort’s Death Eaters will not torture them for information, and Harry sets off with Ron and Hermione on a difficult quest to find and destroy the last of Voldemort’s Horcruxes. Only once those have been destroyed, Harry knows, can Voldemort truly be killed.



Deathly Hallows is the final tie binding my heart to JK Rowling's characters; and locking me in as a fan of this world she created. It's phenomenal what she has done for this generation and I just wonder if the giganticness of the Harry Potter empire is larger than Tolkien or Lewis or Jane Austin. That remains to be seen. I guess it is up to the generations that come next.

It is in Deathly Hallows that the egocentric Harry [whom I adore even tho] is finally, truly, part of the family. He humbly and gladly accepts his place among them -- Ron, Hermione, The Weasleys, even Luna -- and Harry's 'family', in turn, realizes that war with Voldemort is not exclusively Harry's war.

Voldemort's Hitler-like hunger to weed out the undesirables and breed a perfect race of witches becomes unstoppable, and the lightning shaped scar on Harry's head fades to the background.

This is summed up in my favorite quote from this movie:
You may be the Chosen One, mate,’ Ron says to Harry
[as he catches up to him  swishing  through in a cornfield in the middle of the night.],
but this is a whole lot bigger than you.’

The action sequences and special effects in this movie are amazing. The visual interpretation of HP book 7 is more than I could have imagined. Brighter than the picture I conjured in my own head as I tore through the pages a year or two ago. Superior job.

The creators really made me feel like Harry and Hermione were on the road, moving from place to place for a long, long time. And their dance stole my heart. The true Eros love or Philia love -- friends that genuinely care for one another. My favorite moment in the movie.

HOWEVER, there is one moment that got mucked up. My favorite part of Deathly Hallows (book)  is when Ron helps Harry find the Sword of Godric Gryffindor. I will never forget that moment. It shook the ground beneath me when I read it from the pages. These friends that I have watch grow over the years in friendship, in stature, in bond.  And, in the movie, they skimmed over the 'finding of the sword' like a boring chapter of a book you find in a thrift store. I am still grinding my teeth over that one.

All in all, Deathly Hallows is a class act, a huge hit and I say, "Get to the theater already, would ya?"

5 comments:

owo xD said...

Saw it. Loved it. I totally agree with you.

This is the most faithful adaption of the movie series.

Brandon Barr said...

I should take my wife, she's a big fan. And I have to admit, the movies are pretty fun.

watch movies online said...

Really nice blog.I was a really pleased Harry Potter fan during the first films built around Hogworth. However, the preceding and current releases in the series are impossible to follow and definitely not entertaining. I have no idea what the story line of either of the last two films are and I sat through both in the hop that I could figure them out. I almost get the feeling that the studio figured that "If it had the name Harry Potter in the title, it would be a hit". Both films are impossible to understand. Even the scene to scene changes make no sence to me. Example; What was the meaning of the black bird feather falling into the stream? That whole film makes no sence to me. What a waste of what was a great and interesting film series.

Katie said...

One of my favorite movies of this year. Actually, probably my number one favorite (although INCEPTION was also amazing). While this wasn't my favorite book of the series, I thought the filmmakers did an amazing job staying true to the story. I can't wait for the next one!!!

KM Wilsher said...

Chris~ I love the series as much as you :)
Brandon~Take her! I'd like to see Amanda do a review on your blog :)
Watch Movies online~ Have you read the books? I wonder if one needs to read the books to understand the full story. I don't know. Nonetheless, I am sorry you did not enjoy the experience :)
KM~We have simliar tastes! I loved Inception too. I agree with your fav movies for the year. . .but I would add Robin Hood :)