CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Stardate October 25, 2008

I just received an email from my friend Nancy. She self-published her book this week. It was surreal to see her book, entitled "More Than a Dream", sitting on a web site and not in the bound, yellow folder she used to hand it to me in! What a feeling!

It seems like just a short time ago we started a small writer's group called "One Page at a Time", and her novel was in progress. Now it's being sold on a web site. It's encased in a pink, tie die-like cover. The title is embossed across the front. (Check it out yourself: http://www.lulu.com/content/4632874) Way to go Nancy!

In the email she sent me, she said, "It's self-published, but that's the wave of the future, friends." I say, "You go girl!"

I think I can see her point. I have decided to start a transcription business at the end of the year. I am looking into ancient tactics such as a business name and business cards; but it seems like the more important, present tactics are things like: Web sites, Yahoo groups, links and networking. These things are no different than the new way to socialize -- My space and singles sites. It seems to me, the wave of the future is just what Nancy said -- to self-publish or "sell yourself". However, if I think about it, selling your self isn't such a new tactic, there is just a new way to do it: on the internet. I mean, here I am "self-publishing", it's called blogging.

God bless you Nancy! Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

2 comments:

Avily Jerome said...

Good point!

Rella said...

Oh Kathleen! Thank you SO much for posting this. I love you and I appreciate your support. Writers need to stick together and continue to encourage one another. Thanks for being there and believing in me, as I believe in you!