CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 8, 2009

MOVIE MONDAY

10th Kingdom and Dune
THE HOLIDAY SERIES
November, a month of gratefulness


Today I am grateful for my opinion - and yours! Why?

See, I like funny fantasy. For instance, THE PRINCESS BRIDE. I have watched it a handful of times and would love to meet Inigo Montoya. Who doesn't love to hear him say: My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.


I don't watch PRINCESS BRIDE very often, but I do revisit A KNIGHT'S TALE over and over and OVER again. Chaucer? I think we are long lost soul mates. (UG, I always fall for the bad “unavailable” guys. Not the main hero ready to fall in love. Okay. That is a whole different post for a whole different day LOL)

Here are some of his best moments:


Or the KING'S GUARD. You have to see this one. KING'S GUARD is a sort of marriage of A KNIGHT'S TALE and THE PRINCESS BRIDE.

However, after many years of finding 10TH KINGDOM and DUNE highly ranked on lists like: “Top Fantasy Movies of all time”. I finally rented them. Neither one played in my DVD player longer than 10 minutes. Hokey at best. . .

Should I be ashamed? As a Fantasy/Sci Fi/Allegory/Paranormal/Speculative FREEK, why could I barely get through the first scenes of these movies?
Is it only that they are old movies? Would I like the books? Have you seen them?
Advice please, fellow fantasy lovers.

7 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Ok, first...I LOVE "A Knight's Tale"--one of my favorite movies EVER. And Chaucer is SO cool. (Check out the movie INKHEART, btw--if you loved him as Chaucer, you'll SWOON over him as Dustfinger...)

Second, I JUST--like, as in yesterday!--sent my best friend an email with a "name tag" that said, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." Best movie line in the world.

Third, I saw Dune years and years (and years, and years...) ago. I remember liking it, but thinking it was creepy. Let's face it--even as a sci-fi/fantasy freak, I have to admit I watched it for Sting :).

Haven't read the book, but have been thinking about it.

owo xD said...

Oh, that guy who plays Chaucer is the coolest! He played Dustfinger in Inkheart, and really pulled it off. I seem to remember him in the Davinci Code, too. Those are WAY different roles. lol

A Knight's Tale and Princess Bride are two of my favorite movies. Although even cooler than Inigo Montaya, imo, are the R.O.U.S.'s. That scene in the Fire Swamp hasn't failed to make my mom jump once. >_>

I haven't seen or read Dune, either. I read something about it a while ago and thought it looked slightly boring.
Cool post! I think I may have to crack those DVDs out again. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Princess Bride. Dune is good too. Haven't seen A Knights Tale though. . . sounds like I should. LOL.

I love Movie Monday!!

Brandon Barr said...

Hey KM!

"A Knight's Tale," and "The Princess Bride" are superb movies!

Dune is an excellent book but as far as the movie versions go...I'm not sure. BUT! It appears you rented the weirded-out old 80's version of Dune, which I heard is really sub-par! Friends tell me the sci-fi channel version is much much better!

KM Wilsher said...

Kat - I loved Dustfinger - Inkheart so so. Dustfinger? Awesome!

I have to agree:'"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." Best movie line in the world.'

I didn't even know Sting was in Dune LOL. I think I am going to try the book. Or I could look on for the SciFi Channel version Brandon has posted about here.

Chris - Yup. Bet me and your mom jump around the same time in the FireSwamp :)
What did you thnk of Da Vinci Code? I read the book. . .It was hard. Shouldn't have been, but it was.

Lynn - You sat through Dune??? I just can't see my full of energy friend sitting through it :?
Course, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, you are the movie QUEEN :)

I know for sure, the next time I see you I'll be handing you A Knights Tale. ___You will adore it!

Brandon - It feels good to know there is another version (and the one I saw is known to be "sub par") I will now search for the SFC version or the book :) Thanks!

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

Oh, The Princess Bride. It doesn't matter how many times I see that movie, I still laugh at the "Anybody want a peanut?" line.

Kendra Logan said...

Haha, I always fall for the unavailable guy in stories, too!

~Kendra