CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 18, 2009

FRIDAY FLIX, DVD, BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER by KM Wilsher


Top Video Rentals for Summer 2009
FRIDAY FLIX
BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER 2009
A Summer Series by KM Wilsher

#1 ROBIN HOOD SEASON 2
Robin Hood season 1 was good. I enjoyed the modern look to the costuming, and, of course, I love the Robin Hood story. All the merry band of do gooder thieves: Little John, Robin, Marian. The old familiar enemies, like the sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisborne. However, it is Robin Hood season 2 that I recommend to you.

I adore these characters. I love to hate Nottingham’s sheriff. Seriously, this character is fresh, and funny. Marion is a new kind of Marion, strong, independent, and capable. Not a princess in a dress waiting for her knight in shining armor. Robin is believable. He has an intricate past and emotion and arrogance – strength and flaws.

There are many great adventures in this 4 disc set. So add it to your Netflix queue, you’ll be glad you did.

#2 DEFIANCE

Based upon a true story, Defiance was like a blending of Schindler’s list and a post-apocolyptic thriller.

As the Nazi’s begin to round up Jews, or kill them, three brother’s escape into the ubiquitous Belarussian woods, only to find they are not the only Jews hiding there. When the three discover more Jews, they are forced to make a decision: Will they make these “others” their competition in the fight for survival, or will the join together in the battle against the Nazi’s and the elements of nature?

I am purchasing this one. It is an imperative addition to my knowledge of faith, history, and the human condition.

Honorable mentions for Summer 2009 DVD:
Love story? AUSTRALIA An epic love story with Casa Blanca style.

In the mood for hokey? THE KING’S GUARD A fun loving fantasy --- A mixture of A Knights Tale and The Princess Bride.

With the kids? THE RAILWAY CHILDREN must watch with the kids!
And the horror fantasy? UNDERWORLD: RISE OF THE LYCANS (**THIS IS AN ADULT THEMED FILM - NOT FOR KIDS **)

4 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Oooh, I'll have to check out Robin Hood!

I LOVED Defiance. Awesome movie.

Ban said...

I've always been one for the Robin Hood legend too - gonna have to check out the series, unfortunately I'm a stickler for order so I'll have to start with year one.
Oh, and I loved Rise of the Lycans - all the underworld movies are great but this one is definitely the darkest !
Never heard of Defiance ...

Lori Lundquist said...

Didn't know about Robin Hood! Sounds awesome. I LOVED Defiance as well. Didn't get the attention it deserved while in the theatres. And Australia... well, it just makes the list b/c Hugh Jackman looks amazing. :-) Oh, and because Nicole Kidman shows a comedic talent that I enjoyed, not to mention a gorgeous red dress I'd like to try on. Great pics, KM!

KM Wilsher said...

Kat-I think you'd like Robin Hood, and the hubby too :)

Ban-Yes, yes. Start with season one. It's not bad, just leads up to a great season 2! Rise of the Lycans was dark, I think it was my fav of the three, but the sex. . .that's why I put a warning. Check out Defiance too, you'll be glad you did :)

Lori, I think it was weird how Defiance was missed - very important film!
Australia. Hugh looked great and I loved that little boy ;) So cute. I think this was my fav side of Nicole, too. (gonna have to look for the dress, I missed it, I think :)