CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 4, 2009

TURN THE PAGE, Summer Songs, BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER, by KM Wilsher

(BY THE WAY, I AM SO EXCITED. THEY ARE HACKING UP THE FIRST 200 WORDS OF COBRA CUTLASS by KM WISHER (me) OVER AT: http://electricspec.blogspot.com/ IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.)

BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER
SUMMER SONTS
Summer 1985

This summer in a small town in Colorado I paid $60 a month for my 1972 Chevelle (loved that car!). Two roommates and I split rent on a place that charged us $90 a month. By Labor Day, our summer fun ended, and I packed my bags and went to Lubbock, Texas for college.

My friend Daren introduced me to a Detroit Legend. Detroit? Detroit sounded like another planet to that small town girl.

I think the egocentricity of this song probably struck the chord in me at that time, because college meant I was leaving my small town, my friends, and my comfort zone behind. I definitely turned a page.

Daren and I sat in front of the record player (YEP, RECORD PLAYER) and sang this over and over:
Bob Seger and Turn the Page

5 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Ah, man the days of vinyl.....

Ban said...

ever hear the metallica cover ? ;D

Shawna Williams said...

I had vinyl seats and an am only radio. Not even a cassette player.

KM Wilsher said...

Oh, yes Kat and Shawna to 80's ;)
It is so fun, how technology has evolved. Thanks for coming over.
Yes, the days of vinyl. Funny the artists I'll always remember in vinyl: Joan Jett, Boston, Nazereth. . :) hee hee (Shawna, and now cars don't even come with cassette LOL)

Ban~Ok, seriously. Did you say Metallica did a cover? I am on my way to search that out. That will probably take the place of good ol Bob Seger! :)

Thanks for droppin in girls!! Happy Labor Day!

Kat Harris said...

You see, if Bob Seger would have been traveling west of Omaha instead of east, he wouldn't have been on a long and lonesome highway in Iowa. He'd have been on a fun and friend-filled highway in Nebraska.

That's always been my take on the song. :-)

I've always been a Seger fan. My favorite it Main Street.