CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 4, 2009

TURN THE PAGE, Summer Songs, BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER, by KM Wilsher

(BY THE WAY, I AM SO EXCITED. THEY ARE HACKING UP THE FIRST 200 WORDS OF COBRA CUTLASS by KM WISHER (me) OVER AT: http://electricspec.blogspot.com/ IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.)

BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER
SUMMER SONTS
Summer 1985

This summer in a small town in Colorado I paid $60 a month for my 1972 Chevelle (loved that car!). Two roommates and I split rent on a place that charged us $90 a month. By Labor Day, our summer fun ended, and I packed my bags and went to Lubbock, Texas for college.

My friend Daren introduced me to a Detroit Legend. Detroit? Detroit sounded like another planet to that small town girl.

I think the egocentricity of this song probably struck the chord in me at that time, because college meant I was leaving my small town, my friends, and my comfort zone behind. I definitely turned a page.

Daren and I sat in front of the record player (YEP, RECORD PLAYER) and sang this over and over:
Bob Seger and Turn the Page

5 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Ah, man the days of vinyl.....

Ban said...

ever hear the metallica cover ? ;D

Shawna K. Williams said...

I had vinyl seats and an am only radio. Not even a cassette player.

KM Wilsher said...

Oh, yes Kat and Shawna to 80's ;)
It is so fun, how technology has evolved. Thanks for coming over.
Yes, the days of vinyl. Funny the artists I'll always remember in vinyl: Joan Jett, Boston, Nazereth. . :) hee hee (Shawna, and now cars don't even come with cassette LOL)

Ban~Ok, seriously. Did you say Metallica did a cover? I am on my way to search that out. That will probably take the place of good ol Bob Seger! :)

Thanks for droppin in girls!! Happy Labor Day!

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

You see, if Bob Seger would have been traveling west of Omaha instead of east, he wouldn't have been on a long and lonesome highway in Iowa. He'd have been on a fun and friend-filled highway in Nebraska.

That's always been my take on the song. :-)

I've always been a Seger fan. My favorite it Main Street.